Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I stole it...

Every year I try to have my fifth graders make a large collaborative project to decorate our back wall 
*2010/2011 was the year of the dot wall and 
*2011/2012 was the year of the hand wall (can't believe I didn't take a real picture of it) 
This year I stole an idea from Natalie at smART Class and I love it...

Students each were given a 4x6 card index card.  On the back they told me about themselves.  This is always so eye opening.  I have students who make you smile when they write, "my brother likes basketball, my dad plays with me and my mom likes lottery tickets." and others that make you cry when they write, "my grandma uses drugs."  It always is a great way to remind me at the start of the year that many of my kids come to class carrying more baggage than I have luggage for.

On the front they did a self portrait.  This too is eye opening as we do it without any pre-teaching.  Some of the students remember earlier projects and some are still struggling.   Here are a few of them...

After collecting them all, I put them together in color order.  I added a placard that says class of 2020.  I think it might be fun to hold onto the project until this class graduates.  Just this weekend was homecoming and I couldn't believe how quickly my 7th graders had became the senior class.  I am sure I will feel the same way when this class is graduating...
Thank you Natalie for sharing...


2 comments:

  1. Fantastic group display! It's always good to be reminded of the different backgrounds our students have - it puts what we do and say to them into perspective doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it does... sometimes I think I should re-read each card later in the year just to be reminded.

      Delete